Monday, November 16, 2009

Shopping Today


We've got our family pictures coming up this Saturday (oh-so-freakin'-excited about this.... but I'll talk about that later when there are actual pictures to post) so I was out shopping today for outfits.

Now I need to have a quick gripe session.

At the anonymous store I was at, here is the basic layout of the toddler clothing section:



As you may have already guessed, the pink boxes represent a fixture with girls' clothing, and the blue boxes are for boys' fixtures. And I assure you, this is an accurate representation. I counted, just for you. Does anyone else see a little problem here?

It's pretty much the same no matter what store you're at. All of the fancy Christmas clothing is now being featured. Lots and lots of red, satin or velvety dresses. Dresses as far as the eye can see. But are boys allowed to dress up for the holidays? Hmm, I guess not. Unless I'd like to dress him in one of those ridiculous 3-piece numbers that ALWAYS comes with ginormous corduroy pants, a plaid bow tie, and a sweater with a cartoon moose sewn onto the front of it.

I guess we'll go with another polo shirt this year..... *sigh*

Lucky for me, I DID find us some awesome outfits. I just have to work harder than the average momma. (Plus, I really wasn't shopping for dress clothes this time... not that it really makes a difference anyway.) But I felt like griping because the retail world for boys really makes me angry. Rrrrrrg.

P.S. Yes, I'm just bitter.

P.P.S. That doesn't make it any less true.

11 comments:

Lindsey said...

Grrr! I'm sorry! I used to feel that way when shopping for larger sizes--like us heavy-set girls have no right to dress up?!

On the other hand, I firmly believe in your ability to pull of something incredibly handsome without the use of a moose. You are so creative I just know it'll turn out nice. :)

angie and tyler said...

go to baby depot. tons of boy stuff. what store were you at?

Melinda said...

I can't wait to see what awesome things you come up with!

(Is it really true? Have I entered a twilight zone in shopping by having a boy?)

Alena Jo said...

Ohh! So sorry! I've felt like that before, too. Half of my kids are easier to dress... My kids are picky dressers, though. They shouldn't have an opinion when it comes to portraits, though... right?!

Good luck with the shopping! You're creative. You'll find something!

mad white woman said...

I've noticed it too, and I don't even have a boy. Unless I am at the Old Navy near San Tan... that place has like ZERO toddler girl's clothes. It is bizarre.

I AM JOE PESCI said...

I feel your pain, I know your pain.

Julie said...

Sadly I reap the benefits of the overstocked girls department (were you at Target?). I have hardly paid attention to the boy section, because I haven't' needed to, but there have been a few times when I've noticed that same disproportions. I'm sorry. . . to help you feel better you should come braid my girls hair. :) Hee hee hee.

Deb said...

I hear ya loud and clear.

Kate said...

I'm sorry. I've noticed that too and it irritates me a lot. I LOVE little boy clothes though!! So I don't know why they can't keep it proportional. I mean isn't the population something like 51% boy to 49% girl too??? Grrrrr.

zippy said...

Have you tried the Children's Place? When it comes to family photos, that is the ONLY place I go now for my boys...it's the ONLY place that has nice outfits, not too matchy-matchy, and usually on sale or at the very least close to what I would pay at Target or other discount stores. Ooo, and have you been to their outlets?? LOVE their prics there too!! Just a thought.

Frozen Cacti said...

I hear ya. However, Macy's is having a hard time econommically (like everyone) and they have had really good sales. And I know I saw some cute boys stuff. It's worth a check anyway.