Friday, April 27, 2012

Back in the Saddle


This week I am 14 weeks post-surgery.  Can you believe it?  Did that go fast for you?  It most certainly did NOT for me.  This has been the hardest, most agonizing thing I have ever done.  But it worked, it was worth it, and I feel like I'm on top of Mt. Everest now that it's over.  I would like a trophy.  Why don't they give you a trophy?  I went back to the spinal surgeon for a follow-up and got my clearance to resume normal activities - yippppeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

(I still have to avoid the major rough stuff like competitive sports or, as the doctor put it, bungee jumping.  In 3 more months I can do even that, too!  Crazy right?)

So how am I feeling?  Well, it's kinda strange.  My back feels quite good.  It's the rest of my body that hurts.  How is that?  Here's the best way I can come up with to describe where I'm at right now.

Imagine someone strapped a long 2x4 to the backside of your leg.  Right behind the knee, you have a length of wood, and they duct taped it all up and down so it's strapped on there really well.  Then you try to go about your normal life.  You would move a little differently, right?  You would have to learn a new way to walk, a new way to bend over, a new way to get in/out of bed, and the car, and up and down off the floor, etc.   Out of habit you might try to bend that leg, and you'd feel the board there.  It might poke at you a bit now and then.  And you'd feel your muscles try and strain against all the duct tape.  Imagine how your OTHER leg would feel as you move in all these new ways, having to do more work as you are favoring the stiff one?  But if someone asks you, how does your leg feel?  Eh, pretty good, right?

This is me.  I've suddenly had one of the most major "joints" in my body taken away, or made completely stiff.  It seems to be healed now (for the most part) but the rest of my body is compensating for the loss.  I've been rather inactive for 3 months, and I feel really, REALLY weak.  Everything is a little bit harder, and I'm a little bit slower, and it leaves me pretty sore.  Like the way you feel after a really big workout.  Every single day is like that for me.  

The only things that still prove really difficult are:

  • Lifting even slightly heavy things that are either down low or up high.  (Curse you Pampered Chef Stonewear!  Getting you in/out of the oven is a bear!)  
  • Really big movements.  Like turning around to look behind my car when in reverse, or attempting to bend all the way over.  Can't do it.... yet.


The good news is, this is all temporary!  I can begin to attempt some mild exercise now to try and rebuild my strength.  (Must work on new ways of flexibility also.)  I have re-joined the regular world!!!  Now, I just wish I could keep up...


2 comments:

Janet said...

This is so wonderful to read. It has been tough to live too far away to do your dishes or watch the boys. I am so grateful you have had so much help while your body heals. You are right you so need a trophy, or a plaque, your own statue? Sorry I don't work in bronze.

mad white woman said...

You definitely deserve a trophy.

That all sounds so frustrating. I wine and I don't have to deal with stuff like that. Keep blogging!