Octavia Spencer from "The Help."
So BESIDES being modest, this was one of the best dresses of the night! LOVE it.
Maya Rudolph in my favorite color on the planet. Eggplant purple!
And a nice dress, too.
Now the rest of these are "close enough" that I'll count them anyway. I like to at least see ideas that with a few minor changes I could wear myself. Not to mention a few thousand dollars...
Anna Ferris - this one is cut low in the back.
Not all of the critics loved it, but you have to admit... black, slinky, sparkly.
We all wish we could own something like it!
Miley Cyrus at an after-party.
Now this one definitely plunges in the back, and the lower part of the skirt is sheer,
but I just had to include it for being VERY appropriate at first glance.
Wow. Wow.
Sandra Bullock - another plunger in the back.
But I do like the front!
Is it obvious that my mind has been on clothing lately? Oh how I miss shopping. And especially sewing! Recently I was on a rare visit to Walmart and couldn't resist peeking at the discount fabric table. They had a bright kelly green with white polka dots that really jumped out at me. $2 a yard!!! I bought a big wad of it.
It feels like a Lycra-Spandex type of fabric (think swimsuit or leotard) but the bolt simply said "100% polyester," so I don't know if that's the same thing or what. Either way, it's slick and stretchy, and could easily get a little cheap, tacky, or elderly looking. I was thinking I'd take a risk and make a shirt from this pattern I invented, and pair it with this skirt that I made last year. What do you think? Tacky and weird polyester-y... or something bright and fun for spring? I really want to know; I'll be tracking the results of this important issue.
Funny story: recently I received a message from my Etsy shop, which is empty and has been so for around 4 months. Someone had seen my Soft Pirate Swords and wanted to know if I would make 10 of them for a child's upcoming birthday party. AND... she wanted to know if I would give her a bulk discount for a total of no more than $28.
Let me get this right. These swords are $12 each. You would like TEN of them for essentially the price of TWO? This is a tricky and intricate design that requires a fair amount of my labor to put together. I already price them quite low (considering) to keep my products appealing and moving. Not to mention this is an item which is not even for sale right now. Um... no. That is not a "bulk discount," that is called highway robbery. Am I too mean?
Last but not least, here are the crocheted baby booties I have been making lately! They are a Mary Jane style with a little ribbon bow that closes the strap. I bought the pattern from an Etsy shop, and it came with instructions for 4 infant sizes. They are more time consuming than they look! And it requires a lot of counting, so I can't sit and work on them while holding a conversation or concentrating on a movie... but oh well. Something to do. Pretty darn cute.
Coming up! Someday when I shave my legs, I'll model the skirt I made right BEFORE my surgery! My last hurrah. It's kinda nice... as long as you don't look up close.
(All celebrity photos were found in Google Images)









8 comments:
Now I KNOW you are feeling better! Talking about sewing again! Ok, my honest opinion? That fabric is pretty and would make a nice skirt but you would have to pair it with a plain white top to tone it down. If you made both pieces out of it, you might end up looking a little leprachanish (I can't spell)but maybe that's ok for March...;)
SKIRT IN THAT FABRIC? ADORABLE!
With a shirt in the same fabric? eh. I wouldn't. But as was suggested, a white fabric would be SO cute! And putting it with some navy pumps or something would scream CUTE!
I can't believe you turned down the offer to slave away making 10 swords, using all the fabric and materials, not to mention all your TIME, for $28!??! That is on the verge of crazy! (okay TOTALLY KIDDING. But you know that! :) What the heck was she thinking?! You're not oriental trading company or something!!!
Oh it looks like I need to clarify! I only want to make a "peasant top" out of the green fabric! I would use the pattern that I linked to.
THEN I wanted to WEAR it with the white skirt I already made last year. (I did not want to sew another skirt out of the same green stuff!)
Does that help any?
Got it! Although, I don't know that I would pair the peasant top with that skirt...but then again, you've seen it in person and know how it feels together. Seems like the skirt needs more of a tailored top.
BUT OH, SO CUTE! :) I really do like that fabric!
That is pretty impressive to see some modesty.
I really like that fabric. I'd have to see it in person to give my opinion on what you should make out of it.
Those booties are darling. Darling!
Oh, and I can't believe someone had the nerve to ask you to sew 10 of those for $28. Maybe it's the same lady that asked us if she could live in our Utah house for free. Seriously people.
Hooray for modesty and sewing!!
Boo for that person who thinks your time and expertise are worth PENNIES!
And Hooray for those booties--way too cute!! Put me down for a small pair of whatever color, in the hopes that my next baby is a girl!
Such cute booties. You will have to show me how to make them, and I will show you how to make the flowers. :)
Okay, I cannot get over how cute those booties are. Want to send me pair? And YES that is my way of telling you I will actually be needing them in the near future...in about six months. :)
Post a Comment