When times are tough and I'm feeling down, I usually like to get to work. Something creative or fun with my hands usually does the trick.
- I tried to make progress on my current quilt, and I just couldn't. Though I am in love with this quilt, it just feels soooooo painstaking and NOT fun..
- I'm planning a big party for my son.
- I've tried baking treats.
- I've tried getting out and being around friends/family.
- I've tried retail therapy!
These are all my typical "go to" tactics for cheering myself up. I know I'll come around, this time is just a little slower. Making it worse is the fact that my big toes are starting to feel numb and achy. I'm slightly panicking and TRYING to keep blood sugars in check. Then this week my entire head decided to clog up with snot and yet another sinus infection is threatening.
So I was curious... how do YOU deal with stress/anxiety/depression/grief? I want to hear what other self-medicating tactics you like to rely on. At least the semi-healthy, generally advisable ones. Shall we commiserate together?
(Commiserate together? Is that redundant?)
7 comments:
Sometimes being busy isn't the answer. Take some time to be quiet and to reflect. Take time to feel. Sometimes our "go to" is to be busy and that pushes our feelings away. We're too busy to feel! It's okay to feel. Allow it. That doesn't mean you have to wallow in it. It's okay to grieve. Go for it! Then, pick yourself up and get on with life.
My "go to" for being quiet and thinking is being in nature. There's something very therapeutic about it. Even if it's just going on a walk at the park and noticing the ducks. There is power in nature. Power to heal and power to rejuvenate.
Another go to for me is constantly having the song, "Dearest Children God Is Near You" playing in my head. Just saying that over and over again helps me.
I am a dear old friend to depression. I've had it almost my entire life. And that's why I'm so careful when scheduling my time. I do need time to just be still and to feel and regroup.
Also, know that you don't have to be cheerful all the time. It's okay to be sad. And I don't see why this time doesn't deserve some real sadness.
Take care of yourself.
I like talking with friends and either venting my issues, or hearing theirs.
Also, cleaning/organizing works when I feel angry--gives me a feeling of being in control of something. I purge a lot more crap when I'm angry, so that's good.
Oh Amy,
So sorry to hear you are in a crummy place! I have also been depressed/stressed and the only thing that ultimately helped me was distraction. I chose Anne Rice vampire novels but you probably wouldn't like those!
I also agree that feeling your grief is healthy to a point. But when you don't want to cry anymore, you have to jerk your brain away from the distress. The problem with busy activities is that you can still think while you are sewing, shopping, baking, etc.
You need a mind vacation! If a physical activity such as yoga or ballet (something you have to concentrate on) isn't appealing, I say take some time away (get a sitter) and go to a Barnes and Noble and lose yourself in the Twilight series...another good one is the Hunger Games. If you haven't read them, now's the time!
I won't tell you to have a chin-up attitude because sometimes that's impossible. Sometimes it's good to share with a support group...other times, you don't want to hear anyone else's crap because it's just too depressing!
If you want to talk, call me! I'll talk with you today if you want! Love you, Aunt Tricia 208-867-4354
Extra sleep is where I turn first.
Next a pedicure, and if that doesn't do it a massage. And since I'm a single mom all week, every week, I plan weekend trips for myself or with my hubby about once every three months.
Oh and girls night at an amazing restaurant every once in a while doesn't hurt either. I usually don't order dessert if the dinner was fabulous.
Have you ever been given Neurotin for the funky nerve pain in your feet?
:( I'm sorry you aren't feeling great right now. I hate getting into slumps. I wish I had good advice, but I do the same things you do when I get depressed, clean, retail therapy (this one I just barely discovered woo hoo!). I think talking to people about it is good. I don't have anyone to talk to usually, so that's not an option here, but I'm sure you have a lot of people to talk to. You can always call me. I also like to eat junk food and watch a good movie by myself late at night. Then like Roccy said, crying. I always feel SO much better after I cry. I wonder if crying releases endorphins or something?? Well anyway, please let me know if I can help you out somehow. It's no fun feeling down. :(
I'm sorry Amy. I do understand. The health problems (you already know about most of mine). The grief and depression (Tera's 10th birthday in a couple weeks is hitting me very hard). The stress. Oh the stress. The hard times (never enough money, never enough time). I empathize with it all. So I can commiserate... but can't really offer any suggestions. Climb a mountain maybe? HAHA That actually really helped me yesterday! It gave me an enormous boost of spirit, especially in the health department!
Always praying for you. Love you!
For me it's always different. I just got back from camping with the Corey and the kids for 4 days, crazy?! I'm sunburnt and drowning in laundry but peaceful. Spending time away with those dearest to me has been so refreshing.
Post a Comment