Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Happenings

Hello there!  Here's a post full of scattered tidbits from my life as of late:



 We've now had Banjo for a week.  We love him!  The very day we picked him up, we also had our youngest starting in with the stomach flu.  (Yay!)  Over the next 2 days he seemed totally recovered, but then suddenly struck it all back up again.  AGH!  That night our middle child got sick, too. New puppy + 2 sick kids = I cannot explain to you how much use our little carpet cleaner has gotten last week!!!  


Around the same time, the garbage disposal was rattling very funny.  I couldn't see a darn thing in there.  A few more days go by and it got worse.  Then it froze up all together.  Not cool.  My handy hubby took the whole thing apart and discovered a totally mangled frosting tip smashed deep down in there!  It must have gone down the drain the day my sister came over to make the big Harry Potter cake!  Eeek!  Sorry Angie.

I sold my smaller table that we kept in the "breakfast nook" area!  Lots of change is coming!



Yesterday afternoon pretty much ALL I did was this:




Coming up:  TWO MORE DAYS until my appointment with the back doctor!  I am overwhelmingly excited/scared (can't decide which) to see if they can help me out.

My curve looks about like this, only much much LOWER.  It doesn't affect my ribs so much, but more my pelvis.
My back is not only shaped like an S, but it also has a corkscrew twist to it.

If you didn't know, I developed a very significant case of scoliosis as a teenager, which is never really correctable short of fusing your spine and getting titanium rods put in there - MAJOR surgery.  Over the years, I'm not sure if my curve is getting worse, or just 20 years of gravity is starting to mess some stuff up, but I am in unbearable pain on an hourly basis.  I am unable to walk more than about 3 minutes, stand or sit for more than about 5-10 minutes before I'm screaming inside and blinking back the tears.  I really hate to say I want surgery, but I think I kinda DO (??) so that this problem can be solved once and for all.  I want my life back!!!  Wish me luck.

For no good reason, today I treated myself to a new pair of shoes:


They were $14.99 and 80% off of the normal $75 price.  And they are spectacular.  I have no idea for what occasion I'm going to wear them just yet, and I need to acquire awesome new clothes to accompany them, but let it be known:  they are MINE!!!

6 comments:

Frozen Cacti said...

Sorry to rain on your parade but I can't imagine those shoes are too comfotable for your back? Ever since my back surgery I have to be careful about which heeled shoes I wear...I always need a lot of support. Hopefully the pleasure of sporting them around is worth the pain. And I'm sorry to hear your back has gotten worse. I vote a BIG thumbs down.

Amy from Our Dish said...

I know... isn't that awesome that I put the shoes right after the scoliosis? Does it help if I say that they really are quite comfortable?

Lindsey said...

I'm excited to see the new desk area!! I hope the campaigning stuff goes well for Mitch.

Rachel Holloway said...

haha!!! You crack me up with your AWESOME shoes and terrible back problems. I am sorry, by the way. I am hoping you cannot wear those shoes anymore and will need to send them to me instead (because I love them). I'm a size 7-7.5...could squueze a 6 1/2...or make due with an 8. If it's any of those sizes, well, by george, I am the girl for those shoes! :)

Leslie said...

I hope you are able to get more results than I did. I just get to suffer with constant migraines and severe muscle spasms in my neck/shoulder from my cervical/thoracic scoliosis, so I understand the pain and crying. :( I also don't know what it is, but it gets worse every month I age. Boo. :(

Yay for Mitchell!

Pat's pithy page said...

Oh Amy, as if you needed another challenge besides diabetes! That's enough! I say "Uncle" for you!

You are entitled to some self pity but I rarely, if ever, see that from you. I can't believe how upbeat you are...such a good example to your family and to all of us. You don't HAVE to be upbeat all the time though. We, who know you, are eager to help you through your down times.
Love you! Aunt Tricia