Friday, June 11, 2010

The T-shirt Dress


OK folks here's another one.

And don't think that just because I posted this 5 days after the other one, that I made this in 5 days.

Nooooooo, I've been working on it for quite a while.

I'm calling it the T-shirt Dress because I started out with a cheapo $4.00 t-shirt from Kmart:




Just bought it cuz I liked the color.


Then I took said shirt to Joann's and picked out fabric for 3 "rows" of the skirt.


Do you love that print or what? I was THRILLED
to find it because it was the only stuff in the whole place that matched
that darn t-shirt. Whew!


Once it was all hooked together, I needed to find a decent black wide belt. It was surprisingly difficult to find one that wasn't all "blingy" with a huge buckle, studs, sparkles, or whatever else. I felt like this dress had enough going on, so I wanted as plain as I could get. (I hope this one works!) Anyway, the purpose of the belt was to cover up the shirt/skirt junction. Otherwise it would have looked very "Grandma" in its elastic-y goodness. FINALLY I found one.... and....(skipping many hours and steps here).... here's the result:






I took the leftover fabric that I had cut off the bottom of the shirt to make all that ruffle. It was my attempt to make it look LESS like a cheapo $4.00 t-shirt from Kmart. Thank you to my MANY opinion-givers who helped me through this part. It was scary.



Like my velociraptor claw there?
Me too.


I took a whole slew of pictures along the way to maybe write a full tutorial for this baby. Then I came to a realization: tutorials are a LOT of work. HOLY COW. Do I really want to do that for an extremely long post if no one really wants to read it?

So the real question is: Would you like to see the step-by-step for this to try it yourself, or is it just fun to see what I made, end of story? My feelings will not be hurt either way, so I want to hear from you! Come out of the woodwork, my lurkers....


Photobucket

20 comments:

Lindsey said...

I think tutorials are ALWAYS useful, but if it's really annoying, don't do it.

Melinda said...

What a pretty look! You totally pull it off. I don't have much of an opinion for you on the tut. Sometimes I follow them and sometimes I don't.

Leslie said...

A tutorial would do ME no good, as I would just need my tenth tutorial on how to even thread the sewing machine ;) but that is a darling outfit! Good job!

Anonymous said...

Wow, that was made from a $4 shirt? The ruffles are amazing, I am actually curious about the belt part, maybe I just didn't read you right about why you needed the belt, but I don't get the whole grandma elastic reference. Is the shirt tucked into the skirt, or is it sewn to the skirt? Maybe you don't have to do a whole tutorial, but I would like to know more about the great ruffles and how those are done, and why you needed the belt. Its a great dress. I love it. You should start selling custom made versions of these in different colors and designs.

angie and tyler said...

the shirt is attached to the skirt via elastic waist. it would look like an old lady elastic waste skirt without the belt to cover the seem.
my favorite dress so far.

anne maskell said...

I love this dress! The colours are just beautiful. I would love to see how you made it, but tutorials are alot of work! Maybe just a sew pics of the process?

angie and tyler said...

you got a lot of people hitting your blog now.

mad white woman said...

You are awesome. A tutorial probably wouldn't do much for me because I doubt I'd ever be brave enough to try such a project. But I will say I LOOOOVE the neckline on this dress. The ruffles are incredible.

Anonymous said...

Wow, what a transformation that shirt took on! I love it.

Anonymous said...

You are amazing. I think it looks great.

Anonymous said...

Very nice!

Anonymous said...

tutorials please, if it's not too much trouble

amy anderson said...

Tutorial PLEASE!!!!! I print them out and keep them in a notebook (yes, lol, i am probably a little ocd) I am a beginner in the sewing dept. and have learned the hard way that I can follow tutorials from you guys wayyyyy easier than even the easy patterns. Thank you SOOOOOO much for all the inspiration!! I LOVE blogs!! amy

Sarah said...

I'd love a tutorial! Even if it was just basic measurements and a few pictures. Super cute!

Anonymous said...

I would LOVE a tutorial! This dress is so precious!

Anonymous said...

wow! that is amazing :) thank you so much for sharing it at my party! i wish i had enough courage to make something that fabulous! please come again to my party, i love having you!

Maggie Mae said...

I love it! I would like to see a tutorial. Esp the ruffle on the shirt.

Bernie said...

I would love to see a tut! I really love those ruffles. I have to know how you did that!

Sarah said...

Ah, my friend. You always amaze me!

KatyTrailCreations said...

I'd like a tute on the dress please. Would be great for little girls too (In which I know several who'd love this)