Wednesday, March 3, 2010

My Birthday Week


It was last week. But I'm a little behind.

This year I told my hubby that all I wanted for my birthday was to get a garden started. Tell everyone NOT to get me anything else except maybe some money to put towards the garden (cuz face it, I was starting from scratch and it was going to take some start-up fees.)

I got to purchase all my stuff over the weekend, right when a huge storm blew in! I decided to wait so that my newly planted seeds would not wash away. Smart me. So on Tuesday the sun was shining and I got to work hauling 6 bags of soil across the length of my yard and dumped them into my nifty square foot garden box, then poked the seeds into that. Now, I do not have a spacious yard or ANYTHING, but just doing that bit of heavy lifting about killed me. (Proof of what phenomenal physical shape I keep myself in.) My lungs were burning, and I must have done something awful to my back because I have spent the following week in agonizing pain and sucking down ibuprofen. Happy Birthday to me!



The rest of the yard looks luscious and amazing, no?
Ahhhh, desert life.
These vegetables barely stand a chance.


Wednesday my mom and sisters celebrated by taking me to the movie "Dear John." That was fun, albeit painful to watch such GORGEOUS actors. Not fair. That must be why they get paid the big bucks and I..... um..... scrub toilets and make light sabers?



Thursday was the actual day. To distract myself from the ever-increasing number of wiry silver hairs sprouting out of my head, and the way my upper eyelids seem to fold over upon themselves, not to mention the back pain... I took a quick jaunt to Target. I picked up the stinkin' cutest apron there, which I can't wait to use as a pattern for more aprons! Someday on another post... The rest of the day it seemed like one phone call after another (some near and some from afar) as well as a few surprise knocks on the door with special people bearing gifts. WOW I'm spoiled. Each and every gesture was so touching. Thanks peeps!!! Jason arrived home from work bearing flowers, dinner ingredients, a cake, and ice cream. I got to go rest and be served my dinner in bed. Score!

Friday I went to a Pampered Chef auction party with 3 lovely ladies from my family again. We got to collect fake "auction bucks" throughout the night, and then use them at the end to bid on FREE STUFF. I went home with both of the items that I had my eye on... score again! The whole reason I really went at all was to take advantage of a deal where I got:



this knife set at 60% off!?!?!?!


Yes it was a pretty penny to spend anyway... but if you know knives, the good ones don't come cheap. And these are the. very. best. A discount such as that should not be passed up. No it should not. Especially the day after one's birthday. Especially when one has money from a certain 49ers blanket burning a hole in her pocket. (See? I earned it. It's all good.)

Saturday my entire side of the family got to go to the zoo together, courtesy of the March of Dimes kick-off! Every year we raise money in memory of my niece. They gave us lunch and free admission - score AGAIN! We had a grand time being together and watching the kids freak out over the animals.



I'd say that was a pretty fulfilling birthday week!

Now... where's the number for a good orthopedic surgeon?



6 comments:

I AM JOE PESCI said...

or how about just a great massage?

I'm glad your birthday went well. you deserved it!

mad white woman said...

Your garden looks so pretty. Glad you had a good birthday week. That's the best part about growing up, birthdays are more like birthweeks. :)

Cook Zoo said...

What a great week!!! You rocked the house with all that free stuff. :)

Happy Birthday!!!

Julie said...

Happy Birthday! Sounds like you are so loved and cared for. I can't wait to see the update on the new garden!

Deb said...

Oh happy birthday Amy. Glad you had such a great week. I feel like a terrible friend for not sending a card in the mail or calling or something. I'm just not very on top of things these days. But HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

Rachel Holloway said...

TOTALLY laughing because I did my same birthday week post...after you...without reading this first!

WE ARE DEFINITELY meant to be friends! Only difference was I ate WAY more than you did...and you were probably way more productive than I was! :)

Glad you had a great birthday week! HAPPY BIRTHDAY!