I recently discovered there are 2 things that are NOT mixing in my life. Birth control and Diabetes.
I started taking "the pill" just a few weeks ago. I've never taken oral contraception before. I did this not only for the obvious reasons, but also in attempts to shrink a big ol' cyst the doctor found on an ovary. (Yipee!!!) But after a few weeks of the pill, I've noticed I've been feeling really rotten, sluggish, headache-y, and losing weight. Rrrrrg. I also noticed my blood sugars on the rise. I thought it was just isolated incidents of me eating too much junk! Well, I started getting really diligent about testing and recording my sugar levels, and sure enough, they were sky high and never coming back down. I was in the high 300's, and normal should be between 80-120.
So which do I choose? A slow, painful destruction of my insides by this growing cyst... OR ....and lovely trip to the ER in my near future because I collapse in the middle of Walmart in a diabetic coma? Decisions, decisions.
11 comments:
Hmmmm . . . that's a tough one. Although I might opt for not passing out at WalMart.
Crickey. What does your doctor say? Surely there's a way they can get rid of the cyst without freaking out your diabetes. :(
A slow, painful destruction of the insides sounds pleasant. It seems like you have to have another option. ugh.
Yikes! I think it's most important to keep you diabetes under control. The cyst can be taken care of in other way. You can also try other varieties of the pill. It's annoying that it's gotten so bad so fast, but I'm glad you caught it. And at least you spent time being really diligent with your sugars and testing to really make sure.
Good luck.
Wow, that stinks! What about other things, like Mirena (IUD with progesterone) or other forms of the pill? Poor you. Sorry. Blech!
Ooh, that's not good.
Can I cheer you up with a Friends quote? Remember your post were you asked us what quotes from movies we often use in our house? Well I just remembered one we use all the time.
Whenever we eat food that we like we use a Joey quote from the Friends where Rachel makes her "traditional English Trifle." We take a bite and say,
“I like it! What's not to like? Custard? Good. Jam? Good. Meat? Gooooood!"
Hmmmm. . . I'm no medical expert. . . but I would explore the other "methods." Its no fun, I know. . ..
I hate BCP's. True there are many to choose from, it just sucks having to go through the trial and error of figuring out which one will work. It's so LAME.
Here's to your dignity not being lost in the cereal aisle!
I had the Mirena for 8 months which at first seemed to be heaven, but the longer I had it the worse I felt. There were a ton of yucko symptoms that seemed to gradually get worse the longer I had it and promptly left a few days or weeks after I had it removed. You could try looking on some online forums for birth control options... most of them have TONS of people willing to talk about the pros and cons of each. I think if it came right down to it though I would choose having the cyst over the high blood sugar as the effects of that are more devastating. I wish I had better advice. You could always try getting a blessing too. :) Good luck!
I'm so sorry for this dilema in your life!!
I hope you can get it all figured out with your Dr.s!!
Good luck!!
Hope you have fun at Disneyland too!
That's a rough choice. I've had a cyst burst, and it's not fun. But diabetic coma....no, that doesn't sound fun either. What's the doctor telling you? Sometimes ovarian cysts do resolve on their own. That would be nice!
Post a Comment