Monday, June 23, 2008

Ahhhhhh

This weekend Jason and I made a fantastic decision.

We have been needing a new mattress pretty badly. The one we have was purchased right when we got married, and it wasn't even very fancy to begin with. Neither one of us is sleeping very comfortably on it these days. Problem: The mattresses that we want are no less than $800 (but probably much higher.) After weeks and months of procrastinating and wishing, I made a suggestion.

Now, I must give credit where credit is due. Over Mother's Day weekend I was hanging out w/ my sorority sisters at Rachel's and we were all lounging around on her bed talking the night away. Several of us were commenting on how amazingly comfortable the bed was. It was PERFECTION. She said they have a featherbed pad on top, then memory foam under that, and then on the bottom was "the cheapest mattress that Ikea sells." Well I got to thinking... if her bed felt so good with a cheap mattress on the bottom, then surely my old mattress with the same stuff added on top couldn't be too bad!

So off we went to Bed, Bath, and Beyond. I took 2 of the "20% off any one item" coupons that they keep mailing me. We picked out one soft and puffy featherbed topper and a 2-inch thick memory foam topper. Wouldn't ya know, that lovely cashier let me use BOTH coupons in the same transaction (and even better, they were both expired! hahaha SCORE!) We saved $62 in total, and only spent a fourth of what a new mattress would have cost.

But the important part: our bed now feels sooooOOOOOO good!!!!! The difference is so drastic, I cannot begin to describe.... I have had two *blissfull* nights since we got it all set up. It feels like a fancy-schmancy hotel bed. I know this is silly - but here are some pictures in attempts to SEE the difference. Sorry, I had to change the sheets, too. (Note: you must have deep-pocket sheets to accomodate the additions.)



BEFORE


AFTER

Now doesn't that just look luscious?

I am so glad we finally made the purchase, SO glad we saved all that money, and SO glad to have stolen the idea from a friend. Thought I'd pass along my "secret!"

10 comments:

Jodi said...

Ooooh...Aaaahhhh... That looks very comfy.

We finally broke down about a year ago and bought a new mattress (and a bed, and two night stands, and an armoire) our old one was a full-sized and hard as a rock. It was also ten years old when Matt bought it (before we were married)...add to that the 8 1/2 years we had been sleeping on it and it was time to go. Our new one has the squishy memory foam stuff on top and it is HEAVENLY!

Isn't life just so much better when you're sleeping on a comfortable bed?

Congratulations!!!

Julie said...

I know exactly what you mean. When Ryan was in law school we would babysit kids while their parents when out of town and we slept on some beds with the feather pads. It is HEAVENLY. I would love to make the purchase but just this last Christmas we FINALLY got bedding for our bed. Yes, that has taken eight years. Hopefully it won't take another eight for the padding upgrade. I'll use your testimony to help pursuade my husband!

Anonymous said...

I'll try it out tomorrow!

Kim

Deb said...

I love my bed the way it is now, but I will tuck those words of wisdom away for future use!

Bevell Family said...

Great Idea! I think I need to do that for my kids beds...

John calls me the princess & the pea...Everything has to be just right before going to sleep... Bed must be made (sometimes twice) the exact amount of pillows... snuggle in and then everything is perfect for a good 3 hours until I have to twinkle! I wonder if a new bed could help with that. Hee hee..

Smiles,
Sean A'lee

Cook Zoo said...

Oh that's such a good idea! Our bed could definitely use a bit more fluff so I'm suggesting this to Brian!

Rushele said...

Nice!!!!!!!!
I do believe it's about time for us to trade up as well!
We have had the same mattress since we've lived here....6 yrs. So, not quite as long as you, but long enough. It's totally sagging in the areas where the most weight is always on it. So sad!!

Frozen Cacti said...

Mike and I agree that there are many things in life on which you can skimp, but shoes and mattresses don't count.

I'm glad your inexpensive fix works! That alone has got to feel good.

Karen said...

That does look very comfortable! I might have to try your secret when I need to spruce up my old matress. At least it can buy you another few years before having to make a major purchase:)

Anonymous said...

I am sorry it took me a zillion years to respond to your blog (not a blogger) - where you gave me lots of nice kuddos (thank you)! I am so happy for you! Doesn't it make the hugest difference to have the memory foam topper? The entire memory foam mattress costs a fortune and is hard to bounce in (if you know what I mean), but I love my topper. Now, if I can just figure out how to market this little secret.. Now I feel like taking a nap!