
Supplies you will need:
1 tube of refrigerated sugar cookie dough
yellow and red food coloring
1 package of Oreo cookies
toothpicks
green ribbon
small plastic cups
1. Dump out your cookie dough into a bowl. Mmmm, that looks lovely doesn't it?

2. Slowly knead in a few drops of food coloring at a time until you reach a rich, orange color. Helpful hints: Mine needed a bit more of the yellow than red. I'll be honest, this took MANY drops until the color was right.

At first it was a nasty pinkish-salmon that looked like puke. Keep going, it will get there!

After my arm was ready to fall off, we finally reached something orange. (Sorry that one was blurry.)
3. Roll about a teaspoon of dough between your palms to get this skinny cone shape. (Have you heard of those "Bugles" corn chips? You want the size of that, only a tad longer.) Keep them quite small, they really grow while cooking.


4. Take a knife and lightly touch it to each carrot 4-5 times to make some cute little lines. Nothing too deep.

5. Now you're ready for the oven! Bake them at 350 for 7-8 minutes. Don't let them brown on the edges!

6. While those are cooking, load up your food processor with a bunch of Oreo cookies. As you can see, I didn't need the whole package after all.

7. Once you've ground them into coarse crumbs, put a spoonful into each cup (about 1/3 full). Mine are 3-oz. "bathroom cups" I found at Walmart.

8. Once your carrots come out of the oven and cool down, you can tie a bow or knot of ribbon around the end of a toothpick and CAREFULLY stab that into the top of each cookie.

9. Place your carrot cookie in the cup of dirt and spoon a little more crumbs on each side until it stands up on its own.


TA DA! Boy these sure are yummy.....



39 comments:
These are so cute! Absolutely no excuse needed - everyone's got neighbors or friends, right? :) :)
Oh how I love you Amy!
So cute! You always find the cutest little kids food/craft things to do...you are my hero.
So stinkin' cute! We so do need to get our kids together. I have so much I want to learn from you!
Saw this on TT&J - so cute and easy!
Those are super cute. Did you make them just for fun or did you take them to something?
These are so darn cute! How clever!
I love this! :D Now to get an oven so I can bake 'em cookies!
This is such an adorable idea! I love the ribbon on the toothpick....perfect touch to finsh them!
Adorable!! I think I'm going to try my hand at these and place them in mini terra cotta pots. Thanks for the tutorial!
Ditto Kelli. This is adorable!! I've seen dirt cups before, but never carrots too. I love this. :)
Thanks for joining my Weekend Bloggy Reading party. Hope you'll visit me at Serenity Now again soon. :)
These are adorable. My kids would love them.
You are so clever! You go girl!
Really cute & tasty!! You've been featured today at Craftastic Monday - be sure to grab a Featured On button:) Thanks for linking to Craftastic Monday.
Super cute! And easy enough my kids could help too!
Those are adorable!! Thanks for auditioning for OMTWI!!
Saw you at the OMTWI auditions. These cookies are adorable! Good luck in the contest!
cuuuute! i have never wanted to eat dirt so badly.
Cutest ever!!
Found this on Pinterest.com....So so cute! Can't wait to make!
Love this idea! My preschooler will be reading the book "The Carrot Seed" this fall. She loves to bake. This will be a perfect fun supplement to the story!
Love this idea! I will have to try this.
omg!! I totally love it!! I sooo have to try it out!!! thank you so much for sharing
hugs Lou xxx
Awesome idea! Thanks so much! Blessings to you!
these would be cute great with some chocolate pudding under the "dirt"
So cute!
Adorable! Featured this on my FB page today :)
Kara
www.mineforthemaking.com
These are so cute! The would be perfect for my son's preschool party!
Love love LOVE these!!!! I can't wait to try them!!
thank you so much! made these for my daughter's school Easter party and tested out a little analogy to Jesus rising from the grave just as the carrots sprang forth from the ground on my 4 and 5 year old daughters and they loved it!
Love these and tried our own version inspired by you! http://www.toddlerapproved.com/2012/04/carrot-painted-cookies.html
When are the toothpicks inserted? Prior to cooking?
OMG!! these are ADORABLE!!!
So clever and fun - keep it coming! Pless you for sharing!
These are adorable and so easy! I made sugar cookies from scratch, so they didn't flatten as much. I'm taking them to my son's kindergarten party tomorrow. I'm sure they'll be a hit! instead of using ribbon, I just used green toothpicks.
Fun and easy! Love it! I used green candy grass and it can be put in before baking! This way everything can be eatten!!!!
Love these! I just made a double batch for a church gathering:)
I used the green toothpicks thanks for the idea:)
Your Carrots inspired me - I grew Mr. McGregor's garden for our family's Easter dinner...(-: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10204004034448299&set=pcb.10204004050328696&type=1&theater
Post a Comment