Thursday, November 1, 2012

Success!!!

Here are the results of my dress fixer-upper reconstruction...



AKA project sleeves



AKA modestify this!




Here is a reminder of what the top of the dress looked like BEFORE:



And here is the AFTER:



TA DA!!!


I think it turned out pretty darn great - can you believe it?
Unless you looked really close (or on the inside) you'd think it came this way.


I'm so so so so happy that I was able to use the already-finished edges as the edge of the sleeve
(so no hemming of the sleeve was needed.)
WHEW!



And this last picture (above) is the new "shoulder" that I had to make.  
This was the side that had the big knot before.  
After I cut off the long ties, I had to reshape a new hole where the sleeve gets attached
as well as create that little scrunched part along the top
so that it matched the other side.
Then there was the miracle that I had enough material to even make 2 sleeves
(cuz it was VERY CLOSE - just barely enough.)

There you have the story of my fancy dress for only fifteen bucks.
Now I am all set for the wedding this weekend!!!  

5 comments:

Rachel Holloway said...

GORGEOUS!!! Your mad sewing skills have me green with envy!

Lindsey said...

The dress is so dang sexy!!! I love your work on it. Awesome that the fabric for your sleeves was already hemmed. More pictures of YOU in it from the wedding, please! :)

Melinda said...

You are amazing! Love it!

Amy said...

I love it!!!

Merrill Family said...

You are seriously AMAZING! I love the dress and I'm sure you looked great in it. I would love to see a picture of you in it! And I'm still jealous of your dress form ;)