Tuesday, June 14, 2011

My Smoothies

OK, so I know making smoothies is no rocket science.  Since I'm rather partial to my own recipe (I'm a snob), here it is finally written down for posterity.

SPINACH SMOOTHIES


Ingredients you will need:

Blender of choice (I choose NINJA!!!)
Ice (only about a cup of cubes, no more than 2)
1 cup of yogurt (strawberry is a good recommendation)
Fresh or frozen fruit (2-3 cups total)
Fresh spinach leaves (2 cups, give or take)
Liquid coffee creamer (1/4 cup or more!)

Of course you'll want to adjust these amounts according to your own tastes ...don't worry, it's pretty impossible to mess up a smoothie.  If you like them thick, cut back on the liquids and add more solids, or vice versa.

I like to start with my ice cubes on the bottom.  They always take the longest to grind up, so might as well put them close to the blades!  Why ice at all?  I really like the little crunch it gives to my smoothie, fresh out of the blender.  If you let it sit around and this melts, it will just be watered down.  But give ice a try!

The yogurt and fruit will determine your flavor (duh).  This time I used 3 fresh items because I got some great sales on produce:  pineapple, blueberries, and banana.  There are MANY times, however, that I use frozen strawberries, or canned pineapple (drain the juice), or just 1 type of fruit and it always turns out great.  Just toss in whatever combo you have around, about 2-3 cups total.  I would recommend always using some type of berry, especially if your kids will freak out over the color.  Sometimes looks are important!  Berries help cover up the green... a little... hee hee hee.  

Next, the spinach!  I promise this does NOT affect the flavor one bit.  It will make the color a little weird, but if you can get over that, the nutritional benefits are fantastic!  Sneak some in there when no one is looking...   I use the baby spinach sold in a bag with the other salad stuff because it's easier that way, but I always wash and pat it dry.  I throw in about 2 BIG handfuls.  At this point the blender looks pretty full:



Now for my big secret!  The liquid coffee creamer adds a nice creamy flavor without too much fat or calories (or for me, any added dairy.  I'm lactose intolerant and the yogurt alone is pushing it!)  Vanilla ice cream is a great way to get that same great taste, but creamer is cheaper and healthier.  Start out with a big "slosh" on top, and add more if you like (or if your smoothie is too thick.)  Trust me on this one - YUM.


Blend until your ice is all crushed.  Looks a little weird, I warned you... try to see past that...



This recipe should make approximately FOUR 8-oz. servings, plus a little for refills.  Cuz they'll be asking.

2 comments:

Leslie said...

I've been making these for years and we all love them. Costco has the best GINORMOUS bag of organic spinach for only $4!! Shaun's favorite flavor is peach/banana/orange, even though they are a hideous color without any red berry to help cover the green! :)

Frozen Cacti said...

Okay. You are now the bizzillionth mom who has sung the praises of spinach smoothies. I might just have to try it, although I'm trying not to gag thinking about it myself.

And just a thought about the dairy. If yogurt even upsets your stomach than I'm thinking you aren't lactose intolerant, since the bacteria in the cultures eat most of the lactose. You are probably sensitive to milk protein in general...casein, whey, etc. That's my problem. Not only does dairy make my tummy yucky, but I also get canker sores all over my mouth. Not fun.