Monday, December 6, 2010

Clothespin Nativity


(For the Iron Crafter Competition over at Fireflies and Jellybeans right now, the secret ingredient is CLOTHESPINS. I had this darling little kids' craft that I wanted to enter!)




Supplies:
1 cardboard box
2 old-fashioned clothespins
fabric scraps (including white and brown)
a little handful of moss or rafia
a small wooden ball
a small wooden star
a little yellow/gold paint
Sharpie or black pen
Elmer's or Tacky glue (hot glue is also OK but less kid-friendly)

  1. Cut the "corner" out of your cardboard box in a shape similar to the picture. Make sure it is taller than your clothespins.
  2. Dress your Mary and Joseph clothespins with fabric. Attach with glue. Then glue the clothespins to the back walls of the cardboard.
  3. Make a small manger by bunching up the rafia and glue that down well. Glue the wooden ball peeking out of a rolled strip of white fabric and glue that into the manger. Draw eyes/faces with the pen.
  4. Glue a triangle of brown fabric to cover the top of the cardboard. Paint the star and glue that to the top corner of the roof.
Sorry for the lack of in-process pictures; this was made 2 years ago! You will probably figure it out right away, and creative minds can add a million variations.



Here is a well-lit picture to show the details in case you needed
a better example.


What an easy way to involve the little ones
in the story of Christmas.


For unto us a child is born...



4 comments:

Rachel Holloway said...

SO. DANG. CUTE! :) You always amaze me. :)

Deb said...

Such a cute idea. I love it.

And those trees look familiar. I put my red one up this year and thought of you!

Beth said...

What a sweet idea!

Amanda said...

Just stopping by to let you know that I have featured your project on Fun Family Crafts! You can see it here
http://funfamilycrafts.com/clothespin-nativity/

If you have other kid friendly crafts, I'd love it if you would submit them :) If you would like to display a featured button on your site, you can grab one from the right side bar of your post above.