Saturday, October 23, 2010

Welcome to Crazyville

Here we are - it is Saturday! I never thought I would make it. This week my husband's work sent him across the country for 6 days. (Boooooo! hisssssss!) And why is it that fate waits for you to be in an already-state-of-distress when it decides to dump the motherload of crap in your lap? Huh? Here's how my week has gone:

MONDAY:
  • Get a call first thing in the morning that my kids' 2nd cousin barfed at school and needs to be picked up and watched for the rest of the day. I decline due to rest of the day's activities.
  • Visiting Teaching appointment
  • Post Office to mail 2 Etsy orders
  • Full trip to the grocery store
  • Racing home in time to watch my 2 nephews, which I regularly do 2 days a week
  • Find out nephews cancelled
  • Call cousin back to offer to watch the sicky
  • Have sick kid at my house until dinnertime
  • Right after dinner, discover mold growing along the base of my cabinets around the dishwasher
  • Commence freaking out
TUESDAY:
  • Dad comes over to take a peek at dishwasher, spends most of the day sprawled on my kitchen floor but he FIXED IT!!!
  • Get another call that 2nd cousin is well and back at school, but still needs someone to watch him AFTER school.
  • Go pick him up on the other side of the city, bring him home to stay until dinnertime again.
  • Throw some frozen chicken nuggets at the kids and dash to change clothes.
  • Mother-in-law arrives to babysit
  • Leadership meeting at the church - 7 pm
  • Arrive late to Book Club after meeting
  • Hurry home to relieve Grandma from babysitting
WEDNESDAY:
  • Call doctor's office to hassle with some insurance dispute over medication choice
  • Call insurance to find out about coverage for mold issue
  • Call repair company #1 for free estimate
  • My sister Kim comes over to make some crafts together
  • At lunchtime, 2 nephews arrive to be babysat
  • Wait all afternoon for repair company #1 to never show up
  • After bedtime, my Dad arrives to stay with my sleeping children
  • 2 more Visiting Teaching appointments (yes, that late)
  • Arrive home at 10:30 to relieve Dad
THURSDAY:
  • Schedule family photos for next month
  • Wait around all morning for repair company #1 to stand me up AGAIN
  • Call repair company #2
  • Take 3 kids to parent-teacher conferences
  • Repair co. #2 says WHOA, big problem
  • I officially file an insurance claim
  • Take my kids to get Taco Bell and free Krispy Kremes for their report cards
  • We eat it all at my parent's house, because I'm tired
  • Spend 2 hours with Mitchell and his math homework and get him to bed WAY too late
  • Sew 2 swords
FRIDAY:
  • Repair company #1 calls back and wants to schedule 3rd appt. I tell them to bite me.
  • Another trip to post office to mail the newest swords
  • Swing around to doctor's office to pick up prescription
  • Do all the week's laundry
  • Spend entire afternoon on phone with insurance/contractor/husband to work out what in the heck we are going to do with this *&@#!$%!&!@ kitchen
  • Get in argument with husband over what to do with kitchen
  • Cry to MIL about the whole shebang
  • Stay up till 1:30 am sewing birthday gift for my nephew
SATURDAY:
  • 7 am (oh yes, 7 am on a Saturday) contractor shows up to take out moldy wood
  • Breakfast? - my mega pain pill for nasty headache
  • My entire kitchen is sealed up in plastic sheeting
  • My sink and dishwasher are sitting on the back patio
  • My moldy cupboards are on the side yard
  • My countertops are stacked in the garage
  • Did some dishes in the bathroom sink
  • Cooper and I took a NAP!
  • Went to pharmacy to fill prescription
  • Went to 2nd pharmacy because the first didn't have it
  • Took the kids out to dinner because what can I cook? I have no access to dishes or appliances
  • Give all 3 boys haircuts
  • Finish sewing the birthday gift
  • 8:30 pm Jason returns from the airport and we all collapse into his arms
I sure hope the heavens begin to smile upon me in the next few days, because I sure would like to catch a break!!!

6 comments:

Lindsey said...

Holy. Crap.

Glad Jason's home and you have a day to rest before school and homework again. Boo for insurance companies!

mad white woman said...

Of course all that would happen when Jason's out of town. So what exactly is going on with your kitchen?? Hopefully it's all fixed and this next week is a boring one for you.

I AM JOE PESCI said...

wait wait wait. You got to take a NAP!?!!

I envy you.

Rachel Holloway said...

TOTALLY get this.

Glad he's home--hope that mold gets chased right out of there and you end up with a dream kitchen in it's place! :)

Kate said...

What a pain! I'm calling you tomorrow!

Annalise said...

Yikes! I'd seen your beautiful plastic-wrapped kitchen on FB, but hadn't realized your hubby was out of town. Murphy's Law strikes again!!