Monday, September 13, 2010

Mini Apothecary Jars


I've wanted my own apothecary jars for a while. They are hugely popular right now. Let's face it, they're stunning, they allow for a million different decorating ideas, but MAN are they expensive!!!

When I saw this fantastic idea from Dollar Store Crafts, I knew I was going to try it.

What? You mean you can make stuff AND it's cheap? It's like someone started that website just for me. These little jars are a perfect example. Now I get to have my very own set (in miniature, of course!) yet I did not have to spend triple digits to get there. Sure, they are not as majestic as the real thing, but considering they are only $2 a piece... I can live with that for now. You know, until I win the lottery or Jason becomes the next Bill Gates or something. I'm holding my breath.

So here's the quick low-down on how to do it:


Supplies: candlestick for bottom, jar or vase for the top.
TONS of choices at Dollar Tree!
I bought a few types just to play around.
Sandpaper and heavy-duty adhesive.
I hear that E6000 is the BEST choice.




Spend 4 hours peeling those darn stickers off.
Or Windex it and it takes 10 seconds.
NOW I know.



Use the sandpaper to "rough up" where the 2 surfaces will meet.
I only did this because my glue told me to.



Apply your glue to each piece.
Best to just do what your glue says.
Believe me, sniff that for a few minutes
and it will talk to you, too.



Press the 2 pieces together and let them sit.
For 2 days.
I'm not kidding.
I did not use the infamous E6000
and that's how long mine took to fully dry.
But they're good now.



Ta Da! What do you think? Pretty cute, right?
I can only imagine they will get EVEN CUTER
once I fill them with spiders, eyeballs,
and other scary stuff for a little Halloween spooky vignette, eh?


7 comments:

Lindsey said...

YAY! They turned out so cute! I can see myself trying some of those soon too!

I AM JOE PESCI said...

Those are dang cute!

Deb said...

So I think you should change the name of your blog to "crafting queen" or something, little miss crafty pants. Those are so cute.

Your milk/dress post cracked me up. I was laughing pretty good. Only because that is soooooo something I would do (or actually have done).

And I'm seriously considering getting that no snore mouth thingy. Apparently I snore pretty bad in my sleep too. Maybe that's why I'm so dang tired all the time, because I'm not sleeping soundly. Or maybe it's because I'm blogging at 1:38 in the morning. Hmmmm...

Frozen Cacti said...

That's a great idea for Halloween. Might have to pick some up myself. You ARE crafty!

Natalie, the Chickenblogger said...

This looks clever and fun... thank you for the Windex tip!

Marie {Make and Takes} said...

Those are so great. I love that site. I might have to pick some of those mini jars up next time I'm at Dollar Tree!!

Rachel Holloway said...

totally brilliant!