Wednesday, July 28, 2010

To the Woods!




This past weekend we had a great trip to the mountains with my parents and my sister's family. Great except for the fact that it rained on us nearly the whole time. Our entire campsite was muddy or underwater, and 2 out of the 3 tents being used turned into swimming pools (not ours - YAY!) The second day Jason and I were planning on leaving right after dinner. The other 2 households were going to stay another night. It turns out that we ALL left that afternoon, scrapped our last meal together, and ate at McDonald's in the nearby town. HA HA!

Nothing really phased the kids - I think they had a blast!


They went exploring with magnifying glasses



played with Star Wars action figures
(I don't go ANYWHERE without these)



collected pine cones



pretended to ride Grandpa's quads
(huge bummer when we found out we were not allowed to ride them up there)



ate s'mores
(try not to have nightmares about this picture)



did some coloring



had an archeologist activity where we got to dig for skeletons
(my jokes about mass human graves were not well-received)



got really dirty



and had brief moments to sit around and enjoy ourselves!



While everyone was hurrying to pack up the entire campsite (in the rain) I decided I could be most helpful by watching all 6 kids and keeping them out of the way. We went over to this trail made of gravel nearby, it was much less muddy that way. The little ones dug around a bit, then found about an HOURS worth of entertainment throwing rocks in this gigantic puddle. Who knew it was so exciting? See all those huge rocks in the middle of the water? Before we got started it was completely empty, just water.


Camping is definitely harder when you're a grown up, but I'm so glad we did it!


6 comments:

I AM JOE PESCI said...

Sounds and looks like fun!

Julie said...

Agreed. . . camping is hardest on the mom. She has to get all the food, pack, etc. And THEN she has to do all the laundry when you get home! Sounds like you guys made lemonade out of lemons with the weather.

Deb said...

Camping is sooo much work, but such great memories for the kids. Sounds/looks like you guys had a great time despite all the stinky rain. I'm jealous, it's been 3 years since we've been camping.

mad white woman said...

I love camping, but I hate the prep work and the clean up. Which is why the last few times I've made Jason help me out. I do love camping in the rain, but only if we don't get soaking wet.

Me and my boys said...

Looked like a great time...and it is WAY harder as a grown up...all the responsibility...but so dang fun!!!

Rushele said...

Fun!!!
We have yet to "rough it" with our kids...I'm not so brave yet!
And wow, those are some sexy Kim pics!!!