Thank you, Lindsey, for the gentle reminder - it was just the push I needed to git 'er done!
May I introduce you to:

THE JUNK COUNTER.
That's what we really call it. The Junk Counter. It's the "dropping off spot." You know, where you unload everything in your arms as you walk in the door. It's a catch-all for so many items of all shapes and sizes, all categories. The Junk Counter is no respecter of messes; it gladly takes them all. They get stacked and piled there and easily buried and/or forgotten.
And I HATE IT!
I hate that it's right in a main traffic area and can't be hidden. I hate that anyone who comes over can see it. (Kinda feels like going to school in your underwear.) I hate that I've cleaned it up dozens of times. Sometimes REALLY well for a nice party or event. Before long it's right back to its original state of nasty. BLEH!!!
I realized that the problem is, I put stuff there that I want to hang on to, want to see often or use soon, but doesn't really need a permanent place. These are items that need a temporary home. (Carrie Underwood, anyone?) Some examples are:
- The boys' school papers, especially Tucker's homework which gets handed out on Monday but doesn't need to be turned in until Friday. We need it out and handy for each day, but not necessarily lying around. Get it?
- Grocery ads - need them for the week, but they quickly get replaced the next week
- The mail - arrives daily, but needs some sorting by the adults
- Something I had borrowed, and want to leave it out so I will remember to return it. This also goes for outgoing mail.
- Checks to be deposited at the bank. I do this constantly because of my Avon business.
You get the idea. The rest of it is just MESS. Laziness. That can be cleaned up and maintained with a little discipline. But I needed some organization for the comings and goings. Here's my idea, which has been working fairly well!

Magazine files!
OH how I wished to find cuter ones,
but apparently the only cute ones
are laced with gold and diamonds... based on their prices.

I used our handy dandy P-touch label machine
(which is extremely fun to own)
and gave us 4 categories.
And once the rest of the CRAP got cleaned up, here's how it's looking lately!

Still some improvements could be made, I'm sure, but at least it's not NEARLY as embarrassing. Better yet, things are not getting lost or forgotten so easily. Now, if only I could make this last long-term!
How do you manage your "dropping off spots"? I would LOVE some pointers!
9 comments:
Aaron handles my 'drop-offs'...into one of 4-5 'junk drawers/closets/shelves'. Yeah, I need you drive. :)
Looks awesome!
I have nothing to offer for suggestions. Our "landing strip" is a narrow ledge separating the kitchen from the dining room. There's only room for a small tray for keys and a mug full of pens. So my piles of crap end up on my desk instead and I don't have a system yet. Maybe the new place will inspire me...!
How do I handle these areas? That's easy . . . I don't. And now I'm at the point where I don't even care. I'm a slob. Pretty soon everyone will know and won't expect anything different from me. I look forward to that day.
But to you - kudos on an awesome job! Looks great.
That was my junk counter too in my old house. I too got some of those magazine holders for smith's homework and what not. I found cute ones at target near the office stuff on that back wall where the wrapping paper and bags are. I found some cute green and brown polka dot ones there about a year ago. Don't know if they still have them, but you have some anyways.
So anyways good job. They way I did it in my old house was I had a key hanger and a coat hanger on the wall in my laundry room, so my keys and purses stayed on hooks in there by the garage door.
Sheer genius my friend! Our catch-all counter could benefit from this approach. I looked at Office Max when I had a minute today and you are right, anything cute is SO pricey! Maybe I will look at Target later this week. Thanks for the great idea and for the pizookie idea too!
Ours is a really skinny piece of counter that separates our family room from the kitchen (and blocks the view of my sink). We just bought this house and we've fallen into the same old routine of never finding a real spot for all those temporary things. I'm going to try making my own version of this: http://www.potterybarn.com/products/daily-system-white/?cm_src=rel
and see what I come up with. Thanks for the motivation.
I have a tiny little counter that I use for my drop off spot. And when it gets filled, I move to another counter. It gets out of control quickly and only when we have guests are all piles moved into my bedroom. And then they sit in a pile there until I magically have extra time to sort through junk. So while I don't have an ounce of advice for you, I do have admiration. :)
Looks fantastic! Everyone has a place like that in their house, so I wouldn't worry too much about it. Not every spot can be perfectly organized all the time. I think you did a great job thinking about how you use it and making it neater while still working for you. :)
I know it's been awhile since this series of posts, but great job! :) I have many of these hot spots in my house that I have dreaded tackling... maybe today?
Post a Comment