Saturday, October 10, 2009

Project: Love My House (Part 7)


Holy cow, are we on 7 already? That's so cool.

I was dreading this one, but now that I did it, I am SO PUMPED. There is much rejoicing in the land.

Meet: THE LAUNDRY ROOM

As far as desirable laundry rooms go, mine is not "up there." It's teeny, narrow, and basically a quick path out to the garage. But at least I'm grateful for what it DOES have -- storage space opposite the washer and dryer. In other words, not a flat wall back there for the doors to open up against. This is space where we COULD have upgraded and built an extra countertop and cupboards. But we saved the money and said we'd do it ourselves later. And... we never did. I'm actually glad. Now we can fit our small extra freezer there (THE BEST INVESTMENT EVER!) and some nifty shelves for everything else. It's a tight squeeze, but storage nonetheless. Without basements for this sort of thing, you've gotta maximize where you can.

So here is the laundry room storage area BEFORE:



So awesome, right? Another total junk pile. We wanted those shelves to be for our food storage, but instead they hold everything under the sun. And about 6 lifetimes of dust, let me tell ya.

Oh, and I might add that this area is extremely difficult to photograph. I can't back up, because an open door would cover up exactly what I want to take the picture of. So what you see here is me standing on my washing machine and holding the camera WAY up over my head into the corner of the ceiling. That was a riot.

And here is the result of my labors tonight:



TA-DA!!!!!!!!
(be sure to say that in a high-pitched, choir-of-angels sorta way)

I told you there was much rejoicing!!! Can you just SEE all my food storage? And there's so much room for more! Yes, we still have a long ways to go. All/most of that used to be in my master closet. I was able to bring all the cans and big stuff into the laundry room, which frees up my closet now for smaller stuff (less "stackable") and other hygiene items, etc. All of it is so much more neat, organized, and accessible.

I. AM. THRILLED.

Goodnight!


7 comments:

Deb said...

Good Job lady. Where are you getting all the energy to do this?

So...What's next?

I AM JOE PESCI said...

Wow. You're going to have to have an open house when you're all done so we can all ooh and ahhh over your fabulous house (and become inspired ourselves!). Way to go!!

Alena Jo said...

You have been BUSY!! I haven't read your blog for a few days, and all of a sudden I had three new posts of yours to read.

I was thinking of you yesterday, when I thought of the state of my unorganized house. I felt inspired by you... and if I was feeling well, I would have started organizing right then. (But, if I was feeling well, I'd just be in NM right now).

I loved your post about cjane's mom. You did know she is NieNie's sister, right? I really like her blog, as well. I liked the post about her mom. It makes me feel better about my own mom. My mom wasn't selfish about money. In fact, we always had new clothes before she did. (Which wasn't all that often anyway). But, sometimes I feel like other people have such perfect relationships with their moms. I love my mom and think she is great, and has some really wonderful qualities, but like cjane, my mom is not "sweet". I sure wish I could be sweet, though.

I don't think taking time for yourself is selfish AT ALL! We are such better moms when we spend some time doing what we like to do (not that we don't like mothering...).

Anyway. :-)

Melinda said...

I'm impressed; two in a row!! I can see so much progess! Now I need to get something done. I think I'll start with my dishes...

Lindsey said...

This looks awesome! I love that you've also freed up the space in the master closet. It's like you get TWO organized spaces all at once! :)

Cook Zoo said...

Awesome!!! I love the choir of angels part. I could totally hear it! You did a great job. But next time you have to get in such a humorous position for photo taking, be sure to turn the camera the other way and take a picture of yourself while you're at it. I would've loved to see that one. :)

Cook Zoo said...

P.S. Where'd you put all the stuff that used to be there?