Monday, August 10, 2009

I Spoke Too Soon...


First of all, THANK YOU to all the comments about my quilt. You were all SO NICE and made me feel very good!!! What a wonderful fan club I have!

I got it out that very night after that post to begin quilting. I worked fervently for about 2 hours on that thing before I noticed a major disaster. And I mean complete and utter disaster.

I don't think the fabric on the backside was stretched out tight and smooth enough, because as I started to stitch through all three layers, the back was bunching, puckering and folding up under my sewing. AAACK! I could tell that it was just going to keep on happening, too. So there was no other choice but to pick out (by hand) the 200+ yards of thread that I'd already put into it, then take out ALL those safety pins, then re-stretch out all the fabric, re-pin it, and start all over again!!!

Talk about taking the wind out of my sails!

All of the excitement and pride just fizzled.... fast. Aw darn it. Now I'm completely UNmotivated to finish the darn thing. I have days and days and days worth of unpicking ahead of me. Guess what I'll be doing in front of the TV late tonight? and tomorrow, and the next day.... Oh well. I just hope it's still worth it in the end and then you'd never know. (Rather than leaving it the way it is, looking terrible.) But I'm warning ya, those "finished product" pictures will be a ways off.

***sigh***


8 comments:

I AM JOE PESCI said...

:( I'm sorry!

My World said...

I feel your pain!!! It hurts just to think of it. It will be REALLY cool when it is done though.

Amy said...

You really need some quilting frames!!!

Cook Zoo said...

I have a small quilting frame if you want to borrow it. Sorry about that. I HATE picking out stitches!!

Amy from Our Dish said...

Thank you so much Donna, but because I'm machine-quilting this, it can't be in frames. Bugger! If I were doing it by hand, YES, they would be so great!

Rushele said...

How sad! I'm sorry, that's no fun at all!!!
But good luck with all the thread picking and re-stretching/sewing!

Marie said...

That sucks! I am sorry. I hate it when stuff like that happens. It really does set you back...

Deb said...

Oh man, that stinks. But don't let it get ya down.