Saturday, May 30, 2009

Speaking of Reptiles...


Silly me, going on and on about those dumb dinosaur fossil toys. I was just asking for it, wasn't I?

So imagine:

We invited friends over to "swim" and have lunch today. Mid-morning they arrive, and I walk outside to turn on the big blower that inflates our slide. As I'm bent over in the grass, I notice something to my right. Truly, my first thought was that the kids left a toy outside. Then I think some more and realize: no, we don't have a toy snake. My eyes pan farther and farther to the right and I see its little eyes blinking at me. Oh ya, this baby's real.

!?#$%&*!?!#$!?%$?!!

and, it's huge. HUGE I TELL YOU.

After screaming some more, shuffling children BACK inside, and making various phone calls to Animal Control and the like, we watch Mr. Snake go across the patio to the side of the house and eventually curl up behind some old piles of junk we have over there.

We decided to let the kids go ahead and play on the slide, but we sat nearby to make sure he didn't move again. (I kept a close eye on that creature, believe me.)

After lunch and MORE phone calls resulting in NO ONE willing to come fetch this critter for me, I found my friendly neighbor across the street. Right away he said - I've got just your person! He has a friend who apparently "does this sort of thing," LOVES doing it, and just lives a few streets away. Fantastic! So he was back in a few minutes with said friend, and he dug through the junk and weeds in my backyard until he uncovered our little problem. Turns out he was probably over 6 feet long and a harmless variety (um, don't care.) The capture was pretty easy, they put it in a bucket, and took it away to be released in the wild. Personally, if no one had come to help me soon, I was preparing to chop his head off with a shovel. Eat that, PETA. Would have made a pretty purse! HAHAHAHA

Now that I've pretty much locked-in my fate that no one will ever come to visit my house again.... here are your pictures.



This is his little head popping up when he first went into hiding in the side yard.

Curled up behind the junk. Ah-ha we found you!


The capture!




Showing off his size for the camera


One last close-up!

11 comments:

Melinda said...

Uhmmm...scary! I would've freaked! Very brave of you to play outside again when it was still there.

Kate said...

I'm not as scared of snakes as I am of spiders, but that one would wig me out if I saw it in my childrens' play area for sure! Now I'm paranoid about my backyard. Maybe that snake belonged to one of your neighbors and escaped. Yuck. Glad you got rid of it. :)

Julie said...

That is freakin' huge!!! I'm with Kate--spiders totally scare me and I always said I could handle snakes but after seeing that!. . . . I Just don't know!

Maybe we could catch the bobcat in our yard, put it with your snake and pretty soon we'd have a zoo to charge admission!

Rushele said...

Where the crap did that thing come from?!???
I would be so scared, I'm sure I would've peed myself a little!
Glad you got that situation under control easily.

Cook Zoo said...

Oh my gosh, that thing is HUGE!!! I don't blame you one bit for being freaked out. Yikes.

If that's what comes with the dinosaur eggs, then nevermind. We don't want them afterall. ;)

mad white woman said...

Um, that is HUGE. I had a five inch lizard in my house and made someone else get it for me. Imagine me having to deal with a 6-foot snake!

Lindsey said...

Oh my gosh, he's so big!!! I thought you may be exaggerating at first, but the pictures explain your fright. Personally, I love snakes and am glad you didn't kill it, but I understand why you would've. Yikes!!

Susan said...

Oh my! That is hilarious! I would have been freakin out! And that sucker was huge!

By the way...thank you for the recipes! Kev had them hidden away because of the move!

Annalise said...

EEKS!! I can handle a little garter snake, but something like that would have had me screaming, too!!!

zippy said...

OMWord that thing was BIG! Glad there was someone who was able and willing to come to your rescue. I have said that snakes don't bother me as much as spiders do, but seeing the size of that thing makes me wonder how I would have handled the situation.

Janet said...

I had to see the pictures of that snake. Yup - you don't exaggerate.