








Janalee, Me, Mom (Sherida), and Lori with some of our loot! (And that wasn't all of it, not by a long-shot.) Yah, those bags were HEAVY and we had to truck them all around the rest of the day.

Next stop, Ground Zero. This is basically just a huge construction area right now. It's all fenced and blocked off, so there's not much to see. We did find some nice memorials on the building next door. In particular, I liked this engraving of some sort that stretched MANY feet down a long brick wall. It reads "Dedicated to those who fell, and to those who carry on." Pictured are all the firefighters and the bottom has all the names of those who were lost. There were lots and LOTS of names, way more than I could get in the picture. And that's JUST the firefighters. It's hard to describe, but I'm sure you've felt it anywhere in the country. Horrified. Staggering. Sobering.

Across the street from the WTC site is St. Paul's Chapel. It's small but beautiful. Apparently there was not a single bit of damage to this church from the fall of the towers. Buildings 12 blocks away had their windows blown out, but this was right across the street and left unscathed. It was then used as a makeshift resting place for emergency workers as they battled in the rubble and rescue efforts.

The grounds of the chapel are a very old cemetery. It's one of the oldest in the whole city. The headstones are all crumbled and unreadable, and it's quite creepy! The contrast with these bright spring tulips was a little striking.
Next it was back to the hotel to drop off those horrendous shopping bags. We had a nice dinner all together. Then a few of us made plans to try a little dessert bar I had heard about on the Martha Stewart show. They serve a 3-course dessert for only $12, and it's all very exquisite and fancy stuff. How could I pass that up???

Diana and I riding the subway on the search to find this place.

Diana, Lindsey, MIL (Jeri) and Me squished at our little table.

Here's our 2nd course. I simply CANNOT describe how YUMMY this place was! What a fun experience that I've never done before. Definitely one of my top 5 things of the whole trip.

And on the subway back home late that night... who could forget Subway Steve? He sang, played the trumpet, and played the keyboard all at the same time. And he was pretty good! TOO FUNNY!

5 comments:
I am so proud of you for riding the subway!! :)
Can't say I understand the knock-off purse addiction, but the black trash bag does look familiar from the time I almost got mugged buying one for you there! LOL
Amy, how fun, one of these days I am going there with David, he served his mission right in the heart of NYC. He has been back for work, I on the other hand have not made it yet.
Wow, you guys did some amazing things! Just in one day too. I wasn't at all burned out after reading that. I'm totally ready to hear more. :)
I didn't know that about St. Paul's Cathedral. Interesting! Very beautiful too.
That dessert place would probably be my fave too, love desserts!!
Ah, New York, such a great place to visit. So exhilerating!
I love the pictures at the chapel. Very cool to think about all of that.
Dessert. . . now that's worth traveling across the country for. . . seriously.
Post a Comment