Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Got Turkey?

I have a bone to pick with retailers of America.

I had to go out 2 days ago and look for a few "Thanksgiving" themed items for Activity Day. Nothing huge, I just wanted some small, cheap things to make a craft. Now keep in mind, this was a full NINE days before the Thanksgiving holiday. At 4 huge stores, I could not find a single fall and/or Thanksgiving related item. NOTHING - except one choice of paper plates, cups, and napkins.
What the heck happened to this holiday???

At each store, I stopped an employee and asked where I could find the fall items. Each time they told me it was all moved out in order to set up for Christmas. Huh? I understand how people want to start selling Christmas stuff after the fireworks explode on the 4th. But this? I would expect this maybe the night before Thanksgiving, or especially the day after. But THANKSGIVING HASN'T EVEN HAPPENED YET! It was still more than a week away. Gee whiz people!? What if my supply of fake orange and yellow leaves were getting dangerously low? What if I had a cornucopia centerpiece emergency?

Thank goodness I made due with some sheets of scrapbook paper and cheap-o pots. And I give you... Turkey Bowls! Cute huh?



Tucker was so insanely jealous - that when it was all over, I let him make his own from an itty bitty plastic cup. HAHAHAHA!!!!!

The moral of my story: appreciate this poor holiday. Someday it might disappear completely!

11 comments:

I AM JOE PESCI said...

Those are awesome! You did a great job improvising.

angie and tyler said...

I like Tuckers the best. The eyes look like crazy psycho eyes because they are way too big.

The Weights said...

Cute Turkey bowl!! You are very creative!! You would think that they could at least do half Thanksgiving and half Christmas! I love Thanksgiving and it is a great beginning to the Holiday season!!!
I loved your "Stars" post and your little family get away looked wonderful!

Deb said...

THANK YOU!!!!!AND AMEN!!!!

I have been complaining about this exact thing ALL DAY today. What happened to celebrating thanksgiving? I'm having a hard time remembering it because I've been so bombarded with Christmas stuff lately. And I love thanksgiving. can't people chill a little and let me have this holiday?

Lindsey said...

Tucker's Turkey cracks me up! Yours is super cute, though. I was able to find Thanksgiving stuff on CLEARANCE at some places, namely Michael's. Try Hobby Lobby if you find yourself in a centerpiece emergency.

Love the new picture of you guys by the water. Your boys look so grown up!

Julie said...

Cute craft. That's why they will never release you!! For some reason I'm just NOT ready for Christmas yet. In fact I'm kind of ticked about how quickly its coming. So I'm all about bringing the fall stuff back out.

Melinda said...

Great job making do. Stupid retailers. The same thing happened to me in a smaller store...when I was looking for HALLOWEEN stuff a week before THAT holiday. Ridiculous.

By the way, LOVE your new family picture on the sidebar!

Cook Zoo said...

Irritating is right! And I never would've come up with such a cute project. You rock!

mad white woman said...

The weekend after Halloween, I tried to find Fall cookie cutters and NOTHING. Only Christmas. Everywhere. I was so annoyed.

Your turkey bowl is cute, nonetheless.

Rushele said...

THANK YOU!!!!!
I feel the same!
I love Christmas and all, but come on people, can we at least wait until we've carved our turkey and given thanks and THEN start playing the Christmas music and decorating everything?!!!
Love the turkey pots, so cute!!!
You're very creative!

Frozen Cacti said...

Super cute. I completely agree...give Thanksgiving it's proper respect retailers. Gees.

Did you try the dollar stores?