Friday, July 11, 2008

Cry Me a River!

For those of you who don't live around here... it stormed and rained BUCKETS last night! With all the water dumping so quickly, we get a lot of run-off from nearby foothills or something, and it all comes washing down my street and neighborhood. Washing is not really a good word for it. It could have carried away a small child. It was overflowing everywhere. It took everyone's landscaping away with it. I wish I could have had some pictures from last night, but alas, it was too dark and my camera would have been ruined. So you only get the morning-aftermath. Sorry if I find this fascinating, and all you see are some pictures of dirt!


Let's start at the far end of my cul-de-sac. This pic doesn't show much, but you can see a little bit of all the dirt and gravel left from the gigantic RIVER that this was last night. It started at the far end (where you see the grates in the curb) and flowed towards the camera.

But it was way too much for the underground channels. Here is a close up of the far right side of the first picture. Looks like the flow almost took out a chunk of the block wall.



And little rivers made their way down between each house and took all the rocks with them. This is just to the side of my driveway.


Then it met the cross street and the end of the cul-de-sac. This was a crazy amount of water, and with it all the debris. It was deep and fast! This morning there is just a lot of dirt and rock left.

This is all supposed to drain into the water retention park at the end of my street. Everything was overflowing and the river washed right over the sidewalks and down the sides of the park's landscaping. Here is the park as it looked this morning...


Doesn't seem too exciting, but if you look closely you can see how high the water actually got! This is that picnic table you saw in the background. Can you see on the posts how high that mudline got??? The whole tabletop was underwater!


And this is the result of the river washing over the sidewalks and through the landscaping. The edges of our park are destroyed and some pipes and wires are exposed.

Methinks my HOA fee might have to be going up sometime soon.... dang.

10 comments:

Cook Zoo said...

WOW!!! That's incredible. I was expecting to see more damage around our neighborhood given how bad the wind was, but I didn't even see a lot of tree branches down. However, in the middle of the storm, as we were watching happily out the window, we heard a "bang-clunk" somewhere above us and our A/C shut off. Yep. Broken. Fortunately the temps were cool enough that we didn't fry, but the bill to fix it just about knocked me over. Oh well.

I loved that you posted all these pics, BTW. :)

Cherri said...

HOLY COW! You weren't joking about your neighborhood washing away!!! That is soooo crazy! Cool pics! And I thought MY neighborhood washed away. :) Love your blog too :)

Jodi said...

It did that at our house, too. We still have a bit of standing water in one of our washes. Wasn't that CRAZY? It doesn't rain, doesn't rain, doesn't rain, and then WHAM! It rains buckets!

mad white woman said...

All the damage from the water is fascintating to me too. And Jason, naturally, thought it was even more fascinating. I liked all your pics!

I AM JOE PESCI said...

Holy Cow, is right! Wish I were there to see it!!

McD Fam said...

We had lots of rain out here too, and I had to work! darnit! I was soaked to the skin an hour into work and had to close. But the day after was great: all cool and clear skies.

Deb said...

Our neighborhood was pretty trashed too. The park over by Rachel Jones' house had all of it's tables and benches under water as well. My kids begged me to drive past it multiple times. You could have swam in the water at the park, it was so high. The water in our backyard came up to our ankles and our pool was slightly overflowing.

Rushele said...

Man, now I wish I'd been here this weekend.
I love it when it rains, and it seems like this was quite the storm.
We got caught in quite the storm outside of Kingman today coming back from St. George. We actually had to pull over because it was impossible to see where we were going. There was even some hail involved.

Lindsey said...

Holy Crap! I knew you'd gotten a lot of rain, but that looks crazy. Thanks for the pics.

Karen said...

Just WOW! Hard to imagine all that in Arizona! Now for the clean-up:)